FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2017
Old May 2, 2017, 5:58 pm
PremExecSNA

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Intercontinental Stephen Austin - Austin

Intercontinental Stephen Austin - Austin TX

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, overall.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked an "Intercontinental Deluxe Room" on a BOGO with a separate third night reservation on corporate rate and initially received same. The check in agent explained they had 7 large wedding parties at the hotel that weekend and they were a small property. She offered to try for a suite the next day. After a few moments of tense silence as I prepared to quote RA T&C, she did some rearranging and found what she referred to as a Junior Suite (according to the reservation update, it was actually an Executive Room). There was no offer of a rate adjustment, and I'm sure they would have put me in the same room I booked if I'd said nothing.

How are the rooms?
The Executive Room is a long open room with a sitting area and loveseat. There were ample power outlets, and there was a wet bar counter area just inside the door. Given the size of the room, it seemed out of proportion. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fairly spacious with a separate powder mirror and sitting area.

How is the exec. lounge?
There were several large wedding parties in the hotel, and they had apparently sold club access rather than vouchers for the restaurant. The lounge was packed on Friday and Saturday, somewhat overwhelming the staff. In particular, breakfast service was slow to absent. On both days, the key access door was propped open and their didn't seem to be anyone checking credentials. People were coming and going (think shorts, flip flops, etc) who didn't seem to know their way around the lounge.

For breakfast, there was a buffet of hot and cold items. Coffee was only available by asking staff, and any specialties (espresso, Americano, etc.) were not included. There was an a la carte breakfast menu which was available for a charge. On several occasions, staff brought us a check folder, even when there was no food charge. This clearly was a solicitation for a tip. I don't think I've ever seen such an arrangement in any club lounge before.

For dinner, there were several daily hot specials and a cheese and charcuterie selection. A dessert was available. Mid day snacks included coffee, tea and cookies.

There was a red, white, and sparkling wine available. It appeared liquor was also available for mixed drinks.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Welcome gift was a sealed package of shortbread cookies and chocolate candy, a green apple and a bottle of mineral water.

How was the minibar?
Usual selection, including a split of Champagne. It was not replaced until we called for service.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The staff were nice and helpful
The hotel is very convenient to downtown activities.

-Bad
The previously mentioned zoo atmosphere in the lounge
The obvious lack of RA upgrade benefits until they were prompted.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
OK. It was Austin Food and Wine weekend so the hotel rates were up. Still, we had a nice stay.

Would you return?
Yes, although I'd hope for a better reception next time.