FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Turn down for baht! United Polaris + Thai F for Songkran
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:41 am
JVPhoto

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Marriott SkyCity HKG

Arriving at 7:45pm and leaving at 11:15am meant this wasn't a blow and go into the city for some food and a night out. Quite the opposite as I was tired from the drinking/partying I did for Songkran. I drank more in the few days in Thailand than I do in a normal 1-2 months now...early 30s get to you!

There is the attached to the terminal, Regal Hotel, but it was about $35 more a night and I wouldn't get points. You make your way following the coach/tour bus signs below and under the train station between T1-2, past the CX Arrivals lounge and you'll see the big bay of doors with numbers and 29/30 is where every 20 min the Marriott shuttle bus arrives(scheduled at the :10, :30, :50 min marks). Took about 5 min getting to the hotel which is mostly dealing with just circling around construction and round-abouts.

Got upgraded to 1BR executive.

When checking in close to 9 I asked about how long the food was served at places in the lobby and she said until 11-midnight and I could also enjoy the lounge on 12.

I went up to the lounge but by 8 is when they pulled the snacks and booze so I went back down. I did come up in the morning for just a light breakfast of coffee and fruit knowing I would have something in the UC and on the plane.

I had some whiskey at the bar as I wasn't totally hungry yet and then sat down in the restaurant for some horribly over priced but pretty tasty s&s chicken.

It seemed planes taking off on 7R would make their turn and pass/climb by the window. Nice morning watching some of the heavies leave but the windows left something to be desired. I even heard a regular (from what it seemed) ask the lounge attendant how often they wash the outside windows.

The morning drop off (scheduled to leave the hotel at :00, :20, :40) was even easier than pick up as they unload you at the departures curb for T1 instead of making you get off under T2 and hoof it up.