FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:38 pm
danielonn

Originally Posted by jeam3130
​​​​​​exactly what this guy said. I got the refund from Delta for a cancelled flight. I already paid for it and I need to burn the voucher before it expires. Why should the company get the "discount" if I decide to use it?
You should use the voucher for the discount and just either pay the remaining amount on your own credit card or ask your employer if you use the voucher will you cover the difference or should I cover the difference?

If the company owns the voucher I would forward it to the company and tell them to use it for your next trip and then they could cover the remaining amount.

Either way don't do something that could go against your company policy which is good to know about who owns the voucher and if you forward it to them they would use it for your next trip as you are the named passenger on the voucher and then use their company card for the rest.

If you go under your Delta.com account and you view the receipt it will show

Payment
Ticket#0123451020
Total $1000
Voucher 33222999-$500
Credit Card VI XXXX1234 $500

Any residual value of unused funds goes back to the voucher. I used an IDB Voucher and a Service Recovery Voucher to pay for my trip to Paris whatever was left over was returned to me or if the ticket costs more it would go to your credit card.

On your Credit Card statement it would say Delta.com Ticket Collection Fee or something along those lines.

If you use a corporate credit card and travel agent your company has the right to view your receipts and could require you to submit the Ticket# receipt that shows its been ticketed.

What the OP is trying to do is not ethical and is not a legal receipt. I could go to a store purchase an item pay cash get a receipt and then submit it to my company for reimbursement. Its not ethical and is very shifty.

Just be up front with your boss/HR.

The reason your company potentially owns the voucher is because they originally booked you on that flight under a company expense. Now if you were to use the voucher for a non company expense your employer could argue you were using company money even if its free to book a vacation. Yes you were delayed but if you were on company time they could argue that it was lost time that you could have been in the office or at your conference or meeting.

If you asked your company if you could use your voucher for personal travel and they agree then fine if not then I am afraid you would be forced to use the voucher for company travel or let it expire. The voucher is in your name yes and the terms state that it cannot be transferred to another passenger. So you the named passenger must use it according to your company travel policy which by the way is important to know before you get called in to your boss's office for an infraction and potentially get fired if they find out.

Last edited by danielonn; Mar 28, 2017 at 3:57 pm