FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Good price per mile?!%@
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:59 pm
Jaimito Cartero
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Alster2015
After reading a ton of articles online I decided there is no real answer to this question. Haha. I bought and economy round trip ticket for $627 from ORD to Bangkok with UA in May. I have never found a ticket this cheap in the 3 years I have been flying this route. Using a milage calculator it came to like 3 cents for mile. This is bad right? I shouldnt pay more than like 1.3 cents per mile. Now if I could have qualified for and airline credit card would have helped. Or upgraded to business class it may have brought the mile price down. Also the time of year I fly can be more expensive which would result in a higher price ticket lowering the value of my miles. All I am saying is it all depends on the person and the situation. I have never ever seen a price this cheap for my ticket and yet some people would say I got a bad deal! Paid to much per mile. I just don't believe all the travel articles could even begin to claim what the average price per mile should be.
Mileage runs are often hard to do these days because of the spend component that has been imposed by some US airlines.

Take UA for instance. If you had got the flight for $100, you might have only gotten a handful of miles. The price you got seems like a decent deal. 1.3 cpm might be what the miles are worth, but don't get caught up on that. Enjoy your trip and decent deal.