FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:50 pm
singlebackpack

Originally Posted by agilepooch
I booked two round trips for Memorial Day weekend. One from OAK-DEN-OAK and one SFO-DEN-SFO. I hadn't decided which one to keep because ... so many reasons ... airport shuttle schedule (at both ends), dogsitting schedules, drive vs bus, etc.

I was stunned this morning when I received a cancellation notice for the SFO-DEN-SFO trip. I called and spent an hour on the phone sorting it out. I was told:
1. "The computer sees OAK and SFO as the same, so it identified this as a duplicate." Um, NOT. OAK and SFO are definitely not the same, any more than Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, Orange County are the same as LAX.
2. "When the computer decides which one to cancel, it will cancel the more expensive one." Um, NOT - I ultimately canceled the OAK-DEN-OAK version and after applying the refunds to my reinstated SFO trip, ended up with $50 in travel credits because the SFO option was cheaper

I totally get that double-booking ties up inventory and it was a loophole that we've all gotten comfortable exploiting. But how about these more friendly options for your more aggressive enforcement, SWA:
1. Program your computers to keep me from making these "duplicate" arrangements in the first place.
2. Send me an email saying, "Hey, you've screwed up, fix it or we'll fix it for you."

I'd have been happy with either one of those options. But arbitrarily cancelling a round-trip, and choosing the wrong one? NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!
This happened to me. Going to New England in Sept. Flight out there is a JetBlue redeye. Booked a one-way Boston to California Sept 6 with points a few weeks ago. Family reunion plans are evolving, so I recently booked another one-way (also with points) Manchester (MHT) to California Sept 7. A couple days ago received cancellation email for the BOS-California one-way without explanation. Stunned (I thought maybe someone had hacked my email to get my confirm # to mess with me!), and honestly not sure why the flight was cancelled, I called (1 hour on the phone) and they explained that new booking system is catching these so-called "double bookings". Luckily they sorted it out for me, I got my BOS flight back, and didn't lose any points. I still can't believe it. No warning, two flights from different cities, not even the same day! I don't trust them to honor a basic booking anymore. I agree, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Anyway, going to burn up my remaining SWA points and cancel my SWA credit card. I see no reason to seek out and fly Southwest if there is nothing that distinguishes them from the other majors. Delta, United, etc typically have better fares, better flight options (redyes available), and "bags fly 'free'" means nothing to a light packer like me. I used to also look to Southwest first -- this new policy/enforcement is a shame and they are losing a dedicated customer. I never considered it a "loophole", but rather a benefit that made Southwest the best airline in the sky.