FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LIVE: Plane spotting trip to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:07 am
megaloman

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Day 7 - Singapore to Phuket with JetStar Asia

Originally I was booked to fly at 20:30 in the evening arriving in Phuket at 21:20. Since spotting in Singapore wasn't as exciting as I've anticipated, I decided to change my flight to an earlier one. I did consider buying a new ticket with SilkAir, but decided to stick with JetStar and take an earlier flight departing Singapore at 14:40 and arriving in Phuket 15:35 (there's 1h difference). Changing the flight on a day of departure meant I've lost my pre-ordered meal (included in my fare), but I would be arriving in Phuket good 5 hours earlier - no brainer for me. Change fee was 23 SGD only.

What's the best time to start a day? A swim in the pool! Hotel's pool was really nice!

Since I had access to the club lounge and missed it the night before, I decided to try it out for breakfast. There were full English breakfast and Asian options - no pictures though, sorry! Chef came by my table and asked if I wanted omelette or any other made breakfast - that was nice! Club lounge wasn't busy though - there was just one other couple having breakfast.

Club lounge was located next to the pool and required a hotel card to access it.

At this time of the day club lounge was empty, but I guess it should be popular in the afternoon and evening for cocktails and snacks.

After breakfast I headed back to my room to catch a few more aircraft and pack my suitcase. As a IHG Platinum member I was pro-actively offered a late check-out at 4pm, so I was in no rush to leave the room at midday

3K535: Singapore to Phuket

Airline: JetStar Asia
Flight: 3K535 SIN ✈ HKT
Aircraft: Airbus A320 9V-JSF
Gate: D42

I could not check-in on-line as the on-line form required me to enter the residency permit for UK - probably a glitch in the system! At the airport I had no issues checking in at the self check-in kiosk, then headed to the bag drop area. Had to tag my suitcase myself, which was a novelty to me. Process was efficient and pretty quick. From what I noticed JetStar still kept 5-6 of their agents helping people to use check-in kiosks and bag drop machines.

Headed through immigration where I learnt that since my fingerprints were collected on entry to Singapore, I could just go through automated gates - sweet! I was through in no time. Once airside I looked for the lounge I could use - having Priority Pass there were a few options. dnata lounge was right in front of me, but from my past experience it was really dull. I headed to the Premium Plaza instead - did I say that Premium Plaza is always a safer bet?

Premium Plaza lounge turned out to be much nicer than dnata from my memory. It was nice that upon check in I was offered a shower - I didn't need one though as I just left my hotel room. My boarding was also stamped so I could get wine and beer for free, spirits were paid for.

The lounge itself offered a pretty decent view of runaway 2L/20R and allowed me to take a few more photos, as covered in the previous post.

I really liked the armchairs in the lounge area overlooking the runaway:

And here's the view from the armchair:

There were also more private pods:

And also more relaxing pods for napping etc

Food offering was pretty good to - chef's kitchen where noodles etc. were cooked to order:

Hot buffet:

Cold buffet:

Cold drinks:

And a coffee/tea/snacks station:

There was also a manned bar, where you could get free wine or beer, or paid for spirits. No picture though, sorry!

I left the lounge around 40 minutes before scheduled departure time - when I arrived at the gate, people just started arriving there too. Security was very relaxed and quick - no need to take anything out but laptop and tablet - sweet.

My plane was already waiting at the gate:

While waiting at the gate, I got a better photo of Myanmair Airways:

Boarding started about 20 minutes before scheduled departure. First were called parents with children and people with disabilities. Second wave were people sat in row 1, 2 or emergency rows - interesting, as I was sat in 1F - definitely did not expect a priority boarding! Being one of the first person to board means I had no problem storing my backpack above my seat. Seat next to me was not occupied, so it kinda felt like Club Europe on British Airways flight

Flight was maybe 80% full? Boarding finished quickly and we pushed back just a couple of minutes after our scheduled departure time. Flight time was 1h20 only.

On the way to the runaway 2C for take off I managed to snap a few more aircraft.

Scoot Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

SilkAir Boeing 737-800

Etihad Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (which I missed earlier, as it landed on 2C)

After take off we made a sharp turn left and were heading straight to Phuket. While still below clouds level I caught the palm oil plantation:

Then once we were above clouds I could only see clouds:

As soon as seat belt sigh went off, I've set up my DIY In-flight Entertainment System

I've also ordered a meal on board - sandwich was average, coffee undrinkable... and I managed to wet myself with the iced tea - it was a fun flight

Another weird thing about JetStar - I was asked to pack my backpack and tablet before seatbelt sign went on. Crew explained we were on approach so it had to go up. Seriously?!

On approach I could clearly see haze/smog covering the ground:

Ko Boi Noi Island

Ao Phang Nga National Park

Final approach to Phuket

Once landed we've got to the end of the runaway, so I could see the Nai Yang beach were I would head later.

AirAsia was parked next to us

Our flight arrived at the International Terminal (brand new) and we got off the plane through the jetty. There are not many jetties available, so many flights use buses.

While getting off the plane I caught Thai Airbus A330 parked on the other side:

It took good 15 minutes for our bags to arrive. While waiting for them, I tried to connect to the internet - even though it advertised itself as "free", it required passing on personal information including the passport number. It didn't say (at least not in English) that all required information should be valid...

Once I got my bag, I exited the terminal and headed to my hotel which was just 5 minutes walk away. The Sixteen Naiyang Beach Hotel turned out to be very nice - it was brand new, finished just in December 2016. I have booked a premium room with a free mini bar included - that consisted of two cans of coke and two bags of chips, also "mini bar" was not re-stocked on the next day. I got a room on the top floor (7th), overlooking the airport - as requested. There was a small pool on the rooftop and sunbathing space - both I didn't use.

The room:

The view overlooking airport from the balcony:

And through the window to the North-East side:

Spring Airlines Airbus A320

Orient Thai Boeing 737-300

Once settled in the room, I decided to head to the beach. Arrivals were not from the beach side, so did not expect to take any photos of planes. Just wanted to have a swim in the sea and check time required to get to the beach. It turned out to be 10-15 minutes walk.

The beach was rather quiet with just a few tourists and locals hanging out at the end of runaway.
Nai Yang Beach to the left (South):

Nai Yang Beach to the right (North):

End of runaway was well signposted:

Suitable location for movement logging, but not suitable for photo taking:

After a swim I waited for the sunset which was superb:

Back at the hotel I just missed the last order for the room service food... so went out to stock up water and snacks for a next day in the 7-11 and eat something. Sat dawn for a phad tai at the local dinner place - one of thousands on the street - phad tai was maybe not the best looking, but delicious and the cheapest one I've ever had - 40 baht only (~£1)

Before going out for dinner, I took a long time exposure photo of the airport:

That building in front - that's a brand new Terminal X where most of charter flights are being handled. Behind there's a shape of the new terminal visible.

Rest of the evening I've spent writing up the report - I am days behind now, but should catch up this weekend!