FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Christmas on the Continent: Brussels, Paris, Lyon and Luxembourg (BA C, LX C)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:56 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Zurich

I had a scheduled six hour connection so even with the delay I had more than enough time to head into town. I had tried to visit Zurich last year but a misconnect had left me with only an evening to enjoy the city so I was glad to head back in.

Getting downtown would be easy too. It was just a matter of hopping one of the many intercity trains and riding it one stop to Zurich HB.

Ugh I’d be offended if that wasn’t so accurate.

The station isn’t much to look at inside but outside it’s gorgeous. Anyway, no time to look, time to walk.

Actually, scratch that, quick tram ride first. I love riding trams when in Europe, watching the city go by, enjoying an experience that isn’t quite the same as on the light rail cars you find in the US. So I took this to Paradeplatz and walked from there.

I’d been smart enough to keep my heavy coat with me this time instead of just my suit coat but wow was it miserable. Just under freezing and windy combined with steel gray skies. I know it’s winter and all but brrrrr, the forecasts lied to me!

My walk was pleasant enough, especially with some chocolates, but Zurich feels kind of plastic-y to me if that makes any sense. Like you’re at Little Swiss World in Epcot Center.

I was tempted by the idea of champagne on the terrace but I also liked not having my ears freeze off so I passed.

Are you the kind of person who has frequently thought “I wish I could get my post cards and underwear at the same store?” Well then boy do I have a place for you. Meanwhile, I wasn’t really hungry despite it being lunchtime but I WAS thirsty

I stumbled upon the Hotel Widder and its bar which features over four HUNDRED single malts and over 650 whiskeys and whiskys. The bar tenders have to use ladders to get to them all. Now that my friends is something I’ll drink to!

Blasphemy!

Well that was a fun little excursion, now let’s get going home.

LX 52 ZRH-BOS 1725-2005 A-340-300

ZRH is really not my favorite airport. It doesn’t feel very premium for premium class customers (at least not ones merely in Business Class) and a lot of it feels like a sprawling labyrinth due to the strange way the older parts of the airport were modernized.

It is nicer past security though.

I’d never flown Swiss Trans-Atlantic and of course the departure boards weren’t bothering to show my gate yet so I figured I’d pop into the first LX Lounge I saw and figure out where I was supposed to go. The agents helpfully directed me to the E Gates but I decided to stay here for a minute, have a look around, and enjoy a beer.

I didn’t like this lounge much the last time I used it and I still don’t. It’s sterile and not much to look at. Maybe the fact that I’m the sole Flyertalker who isn’t Star Gold through someone hurts me as I can’t use a Senator Lounge? I don’t know.

Nor are their food and drink selections overly impressive, minus the popcorn which I did enjoy. Thankfully I wasn’t going to be stuck here long.

That. Is a misplaced period.

The E Concourse was much nicer and the lounge over there was truly world class.

Ahhh this has it all. Lighting, huge windows, comfortable furniture. Much much better.

Plus I get off on lounges with maps.

Their booze selection was still really disappointing but they had a decent hot food spread.

The meatballs were actually quite tasty.

The terrace was of course the best part. And despite the cold how could I not take my scotch out there and enjoy the view for a minute or two?

Just wish it wasn’t so damn ugly out.

Today I’d be flying on HB-JMB, fittingly named “Zurich” which would be only my second 343.

I was in 9K which was sadly not one of the throne seats. What it was was annoyingly narrow, especially for the broad shouldered gentleman. At least the flight attendant was really attentive when we were on the ground.

Wow is that PTV miniscule. The whole cabin felt very dated, but I guess I started with that thanks to BA so why mess up a good thing?

The amenity kit, whose contents were pretty bad by the way, at least was a fun novelty. I hung it up in case Old St. Nick wanted to leave me some candy or trinkets.

The takeoff camera was pretty cool, though a bit useless when it’s a foggy night.

I don’t know if it’s because I’d always heard amazing things about Swiss, but I was really underwhelmed by the menu. It struck me as rather uninspired. Plus there was no alcohol page which is really odd.

I think that was a Chivas, not a world class scotch by any means.

The cold meat plate was okay, fairly tasteless if we’re being honest. And again, after my previous Qatar experiences this year being handed a plastic tray was pretty lame.

To their credit, the chicken was fairly decent, and was the wine, and I did appreciate bread refills.

I was able to pick which cheeses and crackers I wanted as well as grapes, so that was a nice touch plus yay for Port!

The dessert was pretty decent (though negative points for cart service) and the chocolates were nice. Overall the first meal was pretty good. Sadly things went downhill from there as the crew went and disappeared. I had no intention of sleeping so this was not what I would have preferred they do. The menu also alluded to midflight ice cream that never arrived.

I did sample the seat in flat bed mode and it was not very good. Definitely a proverbial coffin like feel. I was glad I wasn’t dealing with this as the overnight portion. Also, the PTV movie selection was okay at best and as there was no Wifi and no crew, I was left a little annoyed by the whole flight experience.

I know it’s late and all, but that’s a really sorry excuse for a meal. Tasteless chicken, cafeteria style fruit cocktail.

First looked pretty disappointing too. Speaking of, seldom have I been so disappointed in a flight. Nothing was objectively bad mind you (well, maybe the service) but for all the ink that’s spilled over Swiss I was expecting more than feeling like I was flying a US carrier in an uncomfortable seat. I’m glad I flew them but I certainly won’t be seeking them out again, at least not in C.