FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Award Redemptions: Away to Asia - CX J, SQ Suites, WN Y
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:32 pm
mccluresonthemap

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Conrad Hong Kong

Apologies for falling so far behind on this trip report.

Upon landing in Hong Kong, made our way through the airport and cleared immigration quickly. We exited the terminal and made our way to the Airport Express station, which provides quick service to Hong Kong Station in Central. The fare is only $180HK, which is about $23USD.

Airport Express tickets

The best part of the train is that even with stops in Tsing Yi and Kowloon, the trip takes about 25 minutes. Additionally, there are minibuses at Hong Kong Station that operate on certain hotel "loops" that can deliver you to hotels in the area as part of your Airport Express ticket.

Anyway, we were at our hotel about an hour after we landed in Hong Kong. We were staying at the Conrad, which I booked using my Citi Prestige card, so I could utilize the fourth night free benefit.

Conrad exterior

Courtesy of the typhoon, we arrive at the hotel a day late, but the staff at the hotel was quite accommodating and checked us in quickly. Not sure if this is the norm at Conrad hotels, or if it's standard at Hong Kong hotels, but there was a porter who took our bags and showed us to our room. Our room was 5106, a Harbour View room with a king bed. The rate was right at $300USD per night, but the fourth night was $338, so the fourth night free benefit worked in our favor!

Conrad Hong Kong Harbour View room

The view from the bed was pretty decent.

Conrad Hong Kong pool (it's always hot and humid - the pool would have been a worthy stop).

The staff at the hotel was great. My wife's birthday was during our stay at the hotel, and one afternoon they brought a piece of cake up for her with a candle in it. Nice touch!

Hong Kong has been extensively covered on this forum, so I won't bother filling in too many details of every picture, but rather I'll let them describe the city.

View from the top of Victoria Peak.

Inside of Hong Kong Park.

We took the MTR to Lantau Island, where we then took the cable car to Tian Tian Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery. It was a cool place to spend the afternoon, and the views from the cable car were incredible.

Random Hong Kong markets.

Tesla gallery, because why not.

Giant Apple Store.

Holy food. We usually scarfed down what was placed in front of us before we could document it. Once you've been there, you'll understand. Documented below are a few pictures featuring food.

The Symphony of Lights is a 15-minute light show each night that takes place on the high-rise buildings around Victoria Harbor. It's not worth planning an evening around, but if you're around and want to watch, it's cool to see.

Hong Kong was an incredible experience. The city was a great introduction to Asia, with great food, fun attractions and some of the best people-watching opportunities I've had.

Stay tuned for Bangkok and Singapore, still to come!

Thanks for reading.