FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2017
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:47 am
VaBeachGirl

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Athenaeum Athens

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Sort of

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked King Bed Superior View Room on Govt Rate, received KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL ROOM. Asked for Acropolis view via email ahead of time but was politely told that I already received a double upgrade. If I wanted Acropolis view, I'd need to pay 28 euros/night. Really? I think this is kind of lame, but I guess they are sticking to the new T&C and are very strict about the double upgrade? I still question as to whether it is really a double upgrade, though. Happy to have Club access, though.

How are the rooms?
I did get a room on the 9th floor, which was nicer for the city view (I guess). It is a decent size room with an area with a couch and desk. There are actually two sets of windows, which really keeps down street noise. The room I received had a really weird smell when I arrived. But after running the AC, it seemed to have disappeared.

How is the exec. lounge?
Beautiful terrace with views of the Acropolis. Breakfast was great - lots of variety - a different hot egg dish everyday. The evening cocktail hour was hit or miss on food. There was always cheese and bread and many sweet options. I don't eat meat and some nights, there were almost all meat options and no vegetables in sight (raw or otherwise). Other nights had seafood and veggie options. Decent wine selections, several beer options, lots of liquor. All self serve.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Besides the normal fruit and water, received two types of sesame honey bars. Water was replaced daily (large bottle with the fruit)

How was the minibar?
Probably worst mini bar I have seen since I've become RA! Two Heinekens, no wine, some mini liquors (had JW Black initially, but it got replaced with JW red then back to black again), 4 sodas, 1 OJ, 1 tonic, 1 sparkling water. I think since I've been RA this is one of the mini bars I barely touched.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good:
--Club Lounge upgrade with views from terrace
--Shuttle that goes to Syntagma and back (every half hour in the morning, hourly later in the day); hotel is a bit of a trek from city center (which I was aware of prior to booking)
--Overall, the staff is friendly - I actually found the concierge in the lobby a bit more helpful than the Club staff. A lot of times there wasn't even anyone in the Club Lounge to ask a question to because they were busy refilling the buffet and clearing plates, talking to other guests, or just not around.
-- Korres shampoo/conditioner, etc. Happy to see no Agraria Products!!

-Bad
-- The upgrade was lame. Still can't believe RAs can't get an Acropolis view w/o paying extra if initial booking was Superior View. Disappointing
-- Minimal RA recognition overall
-- No coffee maker in room, just instant and only 2 regular Lipton tea bags in room
-- No toothpaste in the "with compliments" box
-- No wine in the mini bar!!

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes, definitely a good deal at 138 euros/night

Would you return?
Yes, as RA I would return. But if not RA, would stay elsewhere