FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WiFi calling on AT&T
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:37 am
Doug Ales

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Why don't you enlighten us who are so ignorant as to how this differs from Facetime, Skype and any number of other apps? And why we should care?
Like you, I'm a ignorant non-expert in this matter.

Here is what I came up with:

1) Video. FaceTime / Skype have video and audio. WiFi calling has audio only. All three have audio only options.
2) FaceTime - both people must have a Apple device, at least as far as I know.
3) Skype - both people once needed a smart phone or tablet or computer, but not anymore if you use a premium (not free) version of Skype. Then the other person can be using a landline and have no idea you placed the all through skype.
4) With WiFi calling, the other person sees your normal phone number and they can use a regular phone, land line, etc. But Skype can do this now also.
5) Calls to 911 can give false locations through wifi calls.

From my experience, call quality is highly depended on a good internet connection for any of these options.

Originally Posted by scubadu
.... Have you ever actually used Wifi calling? You post implies that you have not.

Regards
Yes, I have used all three and understand all three use the internet and I believe the difference far more about marketing then application.

I see no clear winner between the three, but would add their is something special / memorable about a video call from a person at a remote, far off destination.

Last edited by Doug Ales; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:43 am