FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR: ATL-KUL $478 a-i RT wow + PHL/JFK/ORD/DFW/HOU/LAX/MIA long routes $500-ish
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:48 am
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
QR: ATL-KUL $478 a-i RT wow + PHL/JFK/ORD/DFW/HOU/LAX/MIA long routes $500-ish

I know there's a discussion thread on this in the premium deals (which I would have probably missed), but the economy deals can be tremendous as well.

Just booked an ATL-KUL trip for 2+ weeks in early Feb. at $478 RT (used ScoreCard points to get even lower). They have this fare for spring and fall at that rate and summer around $633 RT. Still a good number of dates but I can tell they've sold out on the fare class already on quite a few. DFW-BKK was supposed to be $471 RT but in looking at all the near-term dates I couldn't find availability.

Here's the promo page on Qatar's site with a full listing

Here's the listing on TFD where I found it originally

For some reason I couldn't get the flights to come up on Google Flights, but matrix.itasoftware.com had them.

They also promise 15% off if booked on Qatar's site with a Visa card and coupon code VISA, but in my case it only dropped it to $460 so it's YMMV about whether that comes off the lowest fare.

Books into O class at lowest fare, which is 25% AA or 5K-ish RDMs (though 10K-ish EQMs) if credited to AA. In my case if I cared much about requalifying AA status it'd work out to about .042 per EQM if I bought the $460 Visa deal. But they've also got a running 2x deal with their own Qmiles and a 4x deal for this week (5x yesterday) that I didn't delve into (could be one of those things where you can earn close to actual flown or maybe a bit more).

AA would probably give about 1,500 RDMs for this if bought and flown on their own metal I recently did a paid MIA-UIO RT on them and earned 321 total RDMs So I dedicate this trip to AA/DL/UA and the post-loyalty era they've brought on, as this is exactly the kind of price-driven booking that's more likely now that the U.S. big 3 have ensured that miles-earning on them is no longer a factor. But I'll get off the soapbox now...

The selection of city pairs seems really arbitrary (if you want to go to BKK $500-ish I only see DFW and PHL, for example). I tried ATL-BKK but it was over $800 RT, with ATL-KUL/BKK-ATL about $648.

Anyway, some tremendous deals, especially from cities like ATL that don't get as good a deal to SE Asia as JAK/ORD/LAX. You can also stop over in DOH for free, and I see in the rules that there can be a free one in Europe or Africa, though I'm not sure how you could work the routing to get that.

It's supposed to last thru 1/16 but I'm not sure the seats will be there, especially for prime dates.

Last edited by RustyC; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:58 am