FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:07 am
JEFFJAGUAR

I have a question for the geeks here as I am a very simple minded person (not meeant to be a derogatory term). You go up to a petrol pump. You swipe your card in the reader. How do you know whether it is reading the magnetic strip or the chip? In the past few years, even before emv became wide spread in the USA, very few pumps required you to insert the card and keep it there. You dipped the card, it read the magnetic strip, it very likely asked you for your zip code and you pumped the gas (except in NJ and Oregon where it is prohibited). Now with these emv readers, if indeed they are, yo perform the same action. As a former Secretary of State once cried out when her judgment was questioned, what difference does it make? The only question is whether at the end of the day, you can get your gas.

Now what is interesting is the progress being made with the restaurant industry and doing away with that back room where cc information was cloned for years. But then again is that really an emv issue? For years, before any of my cards had emv chips, they would still bring the terminals to my table and swipe it instead of inserting it. At the end of the day, what difference does it make?

As far as android pay, I used it once and quite frankly found it a bigger pain in the petuna than just using my card; but that's me. I guess I'm just a lone voice in the wilderness.

Happy new year everybody.