FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:30 am
birdiedouble

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Just had a two night stay at this property and while I am glad I had a chance to stay here, I would be hard pressed to recommend this hotel. Some smallish service breakdowns made the stay a bit frustrating. Upon arrival we were greeted by a line in the lobby of 30-40 people checking in. The line moved slow and just as we reached about 3rd in line, a hotel employee came over and asked if anyone was HHonors. I told her I was a gold and she said to follow her. We had already waited 30-40 mins, only to be brought over to the door of the Diamond reception where a guest was taking a long time to check in, even to the point that they got up once to leave, then sat back down for another 5+ mins. We also had another couple in front of us that still needed to be tended to. Meanwhile, everyone in front of us in the original line was being taken care of. Eventually another FD rep came over and helped us. I did ask for a 2 pm check out but was only granted 1 pm. Not a big deal, but 2 pm would have been a little better for us. I did get two drink coupons.

Beyond the check in issues, I also returned to my room on a meeting break the following afternoon to see the message light on the phone blinking. I tried to dial in to get a message, but got a recording that the front desk had a message for me. Tried to transfer to FD but got no answer. Back in line in the lobby to wait 15+ mins, only to find out they were messages about the meeting I was attending, reminding me of times and rooms that I had just come from.

I originally chose a room on the 27th floor using OLCI, but it wasn't available when we checked in. The FD rep also said it can be a noisy room as the elevator runs right next to one of the walls. She instead put me in a room on the 11th, but failed to take into consideration all the noise from Lexington all night long. I know Manhattan is noisy, but if you are recommending a new room to a guest based on noise, at least try to get them into a room that might not be as noisy as ours ended up being.

Beyond that I didn't think the bed was all that comfortable, the shower had a leak on the connection with the shower head that was strong and sprayed upwards, almost reaching the ceiling. Went to grab a water out of the mini bar as we went out the final am to sightsee and it was warm.

Most of the staff at WA seemed very friendly and engaged, and the free hot chocolate at the store just off the lobby was the highlight of our stay.

I'm a pretty good with overlooking small challenges, but for the premium this hotel charges I must say they fall short, especially mechanically. I wouldn't expect that to improve either as they move closer to the renovation. The last stay I had in NYC was at the HGI on W 35th and I must say for half the cost I had double the pleasure there.