FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From Sao Paulo to San Sebastian via Sydney with a Surprise
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:18 pm
macdonaldj2

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
In Search of…

Monday is suddenly here, we usually dread Monday’s unless you have some sort of an amazing job, but unless Anthony Bourdain or Jeremy Clarkson is reading this, I’m sure you’re not a fan of Monday’s. Well it was Sunday night back in the “Good Ole U.S. of A. and we wanted to watch the debate which came on around 11am. Not much was planned for the day anyway. We knew we wanted to try a new pie shop, I wanted a gryo since I missed out the other day, but my main objective was to procure as much Australian natural/biodynamic wines as our suitcases could carry, and if they couldn’t carry it as much as I could drink.

We watched the debate, we laughed, we cried laughing, and we laughed some more and funny enough, we’re actually still doing that however not for the reasons we thought previously. Once the debate was over we headed to the http://www.thepietin.com.au/ as much as I love meat pies, I just couldn’t be bothered today. My wife ordered the brisket pie and I ordered something small, perhaps some sort of Mexican pie, not sure. It was nothing to write home about obviously as you’re reading this. I do remember having a wonderful soda though.

A “Creaming” Soda…

After lunch it was time to search for wine and luck have it there was a wine shop around the corner. Popped in a grabbed a bottle of http://loganwines.com.au/ we only got a bottle of their namesake wine, Logan. I only know this because I drank it two nights ago. We walked a little further down the road and ended up at a donut shop that my wife wanted to try after she got shut down in Santiago at Dunks, but before she got redeemed there had been a plan hatched to get there. The place was called Donut Time (sorry for link happy post)- http://www.doughnuttime.com.au/menu/ we grabbed something called the “It’s always a gay time” because I can’t NOT order something that’s linked to golden gaytime. We also grabbed a slim shady, well because M&Ms.

Donuts and wine in hand, we made our way back over near Hyde Park to another wine store. The store “Best Cellars” had a wider selection than the previous store a wonderful associate came over to me and asked if I was looking for anything. Why yes I was, I asked for some of the wine I had at Automata, Haggis. She said that it was popular and they didn’t have any, but let me give you some alternatives. She pointed out a few and I grabbed everything based on her recommendations. We’re now up to five bottles.

We were getting a tad weighed down so we decided to head back to the hotel. For some reason we decided to take the long way back, I don’t remember the reason why and or it’s not important (there was another wine store on that route, but shhhh…)

”Oh look another wine store”
“We don’t need anymore wine, you need a job”
“I agree to disagree with you, let’s go see what they have, we’re here”
“Fine, I’m not paying for this”

I love my wife. We get in and the associate there notices my bags and asks where I’ve been and what I’ve purchased so far. While I stood next to the Pendfolds and tried to wrap my head around the price, I said I was looking for Haggis and he mentioned he had a few and he also had one of Patrick Sullivans reds as well. Ohhhh wonderful, I’ll take two bottles of Haggis and one of the Jumping Juice. Wife is now full on pissed off we walked back to the hotel carrying now eight bottle of wine.

Since we were leaving the day after I decided to unpack everything and repack now since we weren’t buying anymore wine unless my wife developed amnesia magically. My wife made plans for dinner while I continued packing. She wanted to try a place called Belle’s hot chicken that was back in Darling Harbour and after that she wanted to try and I quote “three of four bars nearby”. We took the ferry back over and I was looking at real estate.

Enjoy it, current residents:

We got off the boat and our first drinking establishment would be King Street Brewhouse. Since it was Monday, not many people drinking the weekly pain away. We had one beer as I was pacing myself tonight. After that we made our way down the harbour to Belle’s, we had some chicken that was marginally hot, and some natural wines. The next stop on our list was this soda bar, turned bar or something of the sort called PS40. It was down this dark alley somewhere in the CBD. We stood outside looking around and one of the bartenders happened to see us and waved us in. Again, this was a Monday and this bar had no one in there, literally no one. We were the only two people there. There were two people working and they were really happy to see us, as it was dead. They explained their menu, let us try all their sodas on tap and recommended some cocktails. Everything was great and the bartenders were very nice and welcoming, we said we couldn’t drink more as we were going to a few more bars after this. We finished our drinks, but we had more, as they were nice. They were so nice they even gave us directions to our next bar, The Baxter Inn. This was really hidden, you get to a dark alley, walk down and turn right, once you’re at the fire door, open it and walk downstairs. If you’re a fan of whiskey, this is your spot.

I’m a Lagavulin 16 person, so I had something from nearby:

I’m a complete novice when it comes to scotch/scotch whiskey/whiskey, whatever you want to call it. I’m sure there was something better on the menu, something rare, something harder to find. But I promised ONE DRINK ONLY tonight.

This is literally just HALF their stock:

I finished my ONE DRINK ONLY and we made our way back towards our hotel, but not before one last bar. We decided to try Frankie’s Pizza, we wanted some pizza and let’s be honest I could go for another drink. There is the main bar when you walk in, then a performance/stage area through some doors and another bar, then if you know, there is a bar inside their green room down a fire escape, and word on the street there is another bar somewhere in there. It’s like a nesting doll of bars. I did not feel like finding all of them, I settled for the first two. We grabbed some slices and ONLY ONE BEER.

I enjoyed their artwork:

We were done, that was it, tomorrow night this time we’ll be in the warm embrace of Etihad’s Apartment.

We’ll miss you Sydney:

Once we got back to our hotel as if two dinners and a few drinks wasn’t enough for the day, who remembers those donuts we got earlier in the day? Well, my wife did.

It doesn’t look imposing does it?

Nooo…it was about a 2lb donut:

It was more of a cake that donut. It was heavy; I could only eat the entire thing…

Tomorrow is flying day, we’re off to Abu Dhabi, there will be more pies, and probably more walking.