FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG members : post your Marriott stay experiences after linking your account
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:34 am
OU812

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
A Tale of Three Elites

Two co-workers and I were attending a conference at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes, Orlando, Florida last week. I am a Marriott Lifetime Platinum and SPG Plat. One co-worker is a SPG Plat, but no status with Marriott until he linked is account and is now Marriott Platinum. The other co-worker is a SPG Gold, Marriott Silver and became Marriott Gold when he linked his accounts.

We all arrived at the hotel at the same time and were each checked in by a separate FDC. I had checked my reservation the day before and noted no advance upgrade, just a Deluxe King and that is the room type I received a room on the 11th of 26 floors facing the drive way. I inquired about an upgrade and the FDC disappeared into the back for five minutes before returning and telling me all upgraded rooms were already allocated. The one co-worker who is now a Marriott Platinum received an upgrade to a two room Executive Suite on the 23rd floor. The co-worker who is now Marriott Gold received an upgrade to a large corner room with Lake/Pool view on the 21st floor. They were both surprised that they received these upgrades and I received nada.

Of course when I asked at the front desk later about my lack of upgrade, I was told that a directive from Marriott Corp instructs each hotel to upgrade newly minted SPG elites over long time MR Elites. (Apparently, there is some notation in the system.) She did offer me 500 MR points as an apology. BFD.

Regards,

RIP...