FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Rewards Club Experience (Archive Thread 2016)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:25 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Crowne Plaza Okayama

CP Okayama

What is your Priority Club status?
Spire

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
This was a PB stay, and after my mediocre experiences in Kanazawa and Nagasaki, my expectations were low. But in the end, CP Okayama was a positive surprise.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard room on PB, was upgraded to suite on 17th floor with club benefit.

How are the rooms?
This is a new hotel, and the rooms are up to modern standards (a rarity in Japan). Very nice view.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn’t one, but guests staying in rooms on the 17th and 18th floor are invited to a happy hour in the bar on the top floor. You can select premium liquors (12yr Chivas/Old Parr/Glenlivet) and delicious mixed drinks (Mojito, Moscow Mule, etc) from a menu, accompanied by a plate of snacks. All very tasty and served in a pleasant environment with a great view.

What was good and what was bad?

This is probably the only CP in Japan that I’d wholeheartedly recommend. I have no idea what caused them to bend the rules (in Japan!) and grant benefits on a points stay. Very friendly staff, with excellent English skills.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Excellent value on PB, and would be ok on cash (under 10k yen) or regular points.

One note about location: When this hotel came out on PB, I argued that Okayama is a good base for exploration. If you’re on a first-time Japan trip and want to cover Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima, you won’t be staying here. But for those wishing to explore the region, this hotel isn’t bad at all. The CP is located right at the station, and you can get from your room to the Shinkansen tracks in less than 10 minutes. The Sakura/Nozomi take 45 minutes to Shin-Osaka, and an additional 15-minute subway ride gets you to central Osaka. Himeji is 20 minutes away, and Hiroshima 40 minutes. There are various regional rail passes that can be excellent value for those wishing to explore the area around Okayama, e.g. the Kansai Wide Pass (8500 yen for 5 days) or the Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass (13000 yen for 5 days).