FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security Agent takes away 60ml aerosol product
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:38 pm
DanTravel

Airport Security Agent takes away 60ml aerosol product

My wife and I were traveling recently and when going through security, the agent took away an aerosol canister hair product. It's rather expensive, and we researched this before hand and determined it was allowed. We've taken this and similar items through airport security before, and even had them visually examined and had no problems.

This agent went through our bag of liquids and said we couldn't take it. I asked why? She said it was explosive. I said, "no it's allowed. It's under 100ml, there should't be any problem, and it's a personal care product. Aerosol's are allowed." She said, "no. look. It's an aerosol. Not allowed. It's explosive." I was continuing to try to explain when she just turned away from me and dumped it in the garbage and didn't even look back at me.

This specific product had a lid/cap with a safety lock which required a push and a turn to the right location in order to remove the cap.

I've never seen this. Is it within the security agent's discretion to dump any object without legitimate cause even if the item is on the list of permissible items allowed on carry-on? I assume they can do that? Is there anything I should do next time, or is it just a waste of time trying to negotiate this even if I bring along a list of the TSA permissible items from the TSA website.

There was no safety risk, and it's a permissible item. I am thinking the agent didn't understand the requirements correctly, since she also let me carry on a 150ml bottle of liquid spray deodorant which was in the same clear bag and that she visually and physically inspected. I would have been fine if she removed this as I know it's not allowed. However, she left it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DanTravel; Aug 31, 2016 at 5:52 pm