FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AKS120 goes to Asia on Miles (F&J)- BA, KA, MI, KA, QR, Hilton & IC Hotels
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:50 am
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Conrad Centennial Singapore

Name:  IMG_2891.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  873.8 KB

I have been to Singapore a couple of times but each time there has always been something I wanted to go back and see. Therefore, I find myself with a couple of days here before I start my journey back to the UK.

Another hotel booking moved from IHG to Hilton - this time to the Conrad. Hilton have 2 hotels in Singapore but I picked this one as the lounge is supposed to be very good (don't forget I get free Lounge access with my Diamond Hilton card) and it is in the Marina area which is where I wanted to go back to.

Taxi

Taxis in Singapore are a really easy and cheap - very safe too so no need for hotel car here!

Check in

The lady checking me in was superb - she was super friendly and when looking at my passport realized I was checking in on my birthday - a big hug and happy birthdays followed - really sweet. I was soon dispatched to my upgraded Executive room overlooking the Marina - despite booking the cheapo economy room in the basement!

I got delivered a lovely little birthday cake, a hand written card and some chocolates from the expensive store in the hotel.

Name:  IMG_2749.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  432.4 KB

Room

Name:  IMG_2734.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  659.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2735.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  694.9 KB

I booked a King Classic room and got a King Executive overlooking the Marina - what a view. I could see the Singapore Flyer, Raffles and pretty much all the sights I wished for. The bed was huge and super comfy (although no pillow choice...!). Wall to wall views of Singapore Marina was the best part.

Name:  IMG_2736.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  354.5 KB

The bathroom was also very good with a separate shower and bath (plus Conrad duck).

Name:  IMG_2740.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  576.9 KB

If I had a complaint is that is was quite a warm room with the expanse of windows and the dial on the air con appeared to do nothing!

Amenities

Name:  IMG_2742.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  568.4 KB

These were Aromatherapy Associates and were a great size. Plus they were refilled daily despite me obviously snaffling them away. I ended up with enough to do me until Christmas!

Executive Lounge

Name:  IMG_2745.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  669.7 KB

This lounge had a great view - it was on the 31st floor and had all around views. The food and drink selection was also great - snacks changed every evening. I would not put it in the outstanding category as some reviews had given it but it was a great location and did the job nicely. I could not get any proper champagne though – despite asking for it by name. Maybe the hotel no longer serves it in the lounge?

Restaurants

Name:  IMG_2755.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  642.0 KB

For my birthday I decided to venture out of the lounge and treat myself to a proper meal - so I went to the Golden Peony which was a highly thought about Chinese restaurant in the hotel. When there is a McLaren F1, Ferrari and Maserati in the parking spot for this place, you know you are in good/expensive company!

I ordered the lobster hot and sour soup and that was outstanding - very tasty! For mains I had a chicken and cashew nuts with chili sauce - again that was wonderful. Then the restaurant brought me a desert for my birthday - it was absolutely disgusting but I had to eat it as the staff were all watching and cheering. I cannot describe the horror of this - chilli sauce (looked like jam) with a salty dumping that had a fig something in the middle. This took all my acting to look happy to eat. A lovely thought, just not to my taste at all!

Name:  IMG_2761.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  580.9 KB

For breakfast, I could eat in the Executive Lounge or Oscars - their dining buffet restaurant. On the first day I chose Oscars - big mistake. It was packed and very disorganized! I queued while a girl asked me 5 times if I wanted to eat outside - still no - and then proceeded to forget about me while seating others! Once I got seated they poured me an orange juice which was average but they were stingy with the portions. The buffet itself was pretty expansive - but they did not seem to be able to keep up with the amount of people wanting fed. I asked for a vegetarian omelet - which came with ham. Poor show if I had actually been vegetarian. I also tried to have some of the savory stuff but those bowls were constantly empty - so good for the diet I guess. It was just manic and in the end I left fed up. The following day I had breakfast in the Executive Lounge and that was a far better affair. No omelet but the rest was all good and eaten in a peaceful environment.

The hotel had a busy vibe to it - a lot of conference people as there is a conference center just across the road. It is well placed for the marina and things like the Singapore Flyer and the Gardens on the Bay - and the F1 track if you are so inclined to visit during that period! I have previously stayed in the Intercontinental Singapore and that was outstanding - a beautiful building and rooms. I have also stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the airport - another wonderful hotel. In all honesty - I would probably go back to either of these rather than the Conrad in future. Just a bit too corporate for me!