FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AKS120 goes to Asia on Miles (F&J)- BA, KA, MI, KA, QR, Hilton & IC Hotels
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:32 am
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort

Name:  IMG_5090.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  586.2 KB

So yet another hotel chain - this time the Le Club Accor hotels which has Sofitel, Le Meridien, Novotel and Mecure amongst others within their chain. I was originally going to stay at the Park Hyatt as I had recently been status matched to their almost top tier of Diamond but the price differential was too much. This hotel actually was better rated and seemed to have everything I needed, plus the rate I got included airport transfers, breakfast and a welcome drink so it was too good a rate to pass by.

Transport

The hotel included transport to and from the airport in my rate so I got a lovely minibus straight to the hotel which was welcome as Cambodia was a little nerve racking to come into - the most difficult yet. But I managed it and was soon whisked off to the hotel!

Check in

Name:  IMG_5083.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  476.0 KB

Very efficient - the hotel is set on a golf course - which is slightly out of place in a location that appears as poor as this. I will talk more about that later. I was given a slightly odd drink as a welcome drink - I think it had lemongrass in it which is nice in a curry but not so sure about it in a drink! The hotel lobby is quite amazing as it is all dark wood and intricate carvings. Slightly colonial but friendly too.

Room

Name:  IMG_5062.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  397.9 KB

My room was pretty large and had beautiful dark wooden floors - very impressive. The bed not so much. This was quite old and uncomfortable BUT it is difficult to be picky when you drive past hundreds of people living on the street. In fact, I saw very few houses between the airport and the hotel, only tents and ramshackle abodes - all very permanent but a nod to how poor the area is. My temple guide gave me an idea of how poverty is in the country - not in a pushy I need a tip way - just matter of fact this is the life we lead way. It was very humbling.

Name:  IMG_5065.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  473.8 KB

Bathroom

Name:  IMG_5067.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  284.4 KB

Back to the room - the bathroom was great - although the shower took a bit of getting used to - to manipulate the temperature dial you actually had to be in the shower and the maid kept turning the thing to freezing - her little joke I think. So every morning I had a blast of freezing cold water while I tried to change the temperature - I hear it is good for you though - hopefully slimming and makes you younger too..........

The view was over a lagoon - equate that to mosquitos! I got two cracking bites on my arm but other than that survived unscathed.

Amenities

Name:  IMG_5068.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  364.5 KB

These were a lovely Amber and something smelly. By Lanvin. Of course I did not use them, I put them straight in my bag..........that will haunt me later!

Restaurants

Name:  IMG_5079.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  467.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5082.jpg
Views: 2254
Size:  525.3 KB

The pool bar did tasty snacks and cocktails and I ate here at lunch. In the evening I went to their 'mass market' restaurant which was OK - I found out that the vegetarian options were far better and the curry in particular was lovely. The breakfast buffet (included in my rate) was very well stocked and I liked the omelets a lot. I tried a dumpling thingy which was OK - not great. They had another restaurant which should have had at least 3 Michelin stars based on the price they were asking - needless to say I never went there!!

Name:  IMG_5091.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  587.4 KB

The clientele at the hotel was mainly French - to be expected with the chain - Sofitel is a French brand.

Name:  IMG_5200.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  495.0 KB

The hotel bar was really friendly and I went there each evening for some wine and nibbles - it was always pretty empty but the barman was super friendly and my glass was always topped up. Most folks tended to go to the pool bar and stay there but I do like to get 'dressed for the evening' rather than stay in my pool gear.

Massage

I had quite a few massages at the hotel as the prices were very reasonable. The massages were really good and I would highly recommend the spa. The pool was fabulous – relatively quiet but large and welcoming. I thought is was the best pool of my entire trip and a really nice place to relax after the hot and sweaty tours you are likely to do here.

Check out was a breeze and the hotel car took me back to the airport.