FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Europe itinerary
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:54 pm
Flexible Flyer

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BNAtraveller:

...So, my question--which would you suggest between PRG, BRU, ZRH or VIE as our mid-week destination? We're looking for quality of the city not just night life....
</font>
IMHO, there are no bad choices among your list of four cities; they all have their charms. I have been to all of them, and I would rank ZRH last (es tut mir leid , Rudi ); it seems to have less of interest to a tourist than than the other cities. ZRH works best as a starting/ending point for a trip to the Alps.

Prague has a well-deserved reputation as a great tourist destination. But as an earlier poster mentioned, review current information about the effect of the floods on the tourist sites. If the central city areas are operating at near-normal levels, then I would rate PRG as #1 on your list. And it's an easy train ride to Berlin.

But BRU is great for a few days too!! The food, beer, and chocolate are almost enough to make that my #1 choice . Also, from BRU you can take a one-hour train ride to Brugges, for a day trip to what is perhaps the best-preserved Medieval city in Europe.

Of course, Vienna is also charming, friendly, and well worth a visit. But I would save that for a future trip to Europe. Among your four choices, I would visit Prague, assuming it is ready for tourists again.

[This message has been edited by Flexible Flyer (edited 10-13-2002).]