FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)
Old May 17, 2016, 5:55 am
Annalisa12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Intercontinental Sydney

What is your Priority Club status?

Gold Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes I was generally happy.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked basic level entry room - Standard King Room
Room received - Opera View King Room

How are the rooms?

Approximately 32 sqm. Room was pleasant not stunning. Great window seat, the full width of the window to sit in the sun. Huge work desk. Lighting was terrible with no lights in the ceiling, only sconces over the bed that were not bright and a desk lamp. Capino coffee maker, smallish tv. Lots of power points at a good height to charge laptops and mobile phones without having to scrounge on the floor. Small bathroom where 2 people could not get ready at the same time. Lighting average. Shower over bath was a bit slippery and it had a plastic shower curtain.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?
GOOD
* Fabulous staff who regularly acknowledged you and seemed glad you were staying with them from check in at valet parking to departure.
* Fast collection of car at valet parking.
* Received welcome letter, fruit and gift of bottle of wine - 2013 Hunter Valley Shiraz
* Breakfast was only an extra $5
* On Sunday regular breakfast area so was so busy and it was so squashy. Tables were so close you could not move between them.
* Husband said his cooked breakfast was one of the best he'd had at a hotel as bacon and hashbrowns were not soggy. He said you could tell things were very fresh.
* As I live in Sydney and just stayed 3 nights for fun I didn't need the Concierge however I heard them discussing seafood restaurants with an Asian couple. He was very detailed in what he was saying and giving them advice like..."whilst the food is beautiful the servings are quite small so if you want something more substantial go to X it's nearly as good".
* Checkout was fast.
* Location near Circular Quay is great. It's near Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Rocks Tourist area.
* 5 mins walk to Circular Quay train station and Ferry terminal.
BAD
* I was on 27th floor (out of 31) and the car noise was unbelievable at that height. I could tell what type of vehicle was passing as it was so clear. Need double glazing.
* Small Bathroom.
* Shower curtain not glass screen.
* Did not receive a newspaper on any of the 3 mornings of my stay - either with the free Ambassador newspaper or the door sign that said hang on your door by a certain time to get a free newspaper.
* Lifts under maintenance. Often had to wait for ages to get a lift you could fit in. Was a running joke with your lift companions when you did get in.
* The room with the "Opera View" was disappointing if you'd paid for it. Yes you could see the opera house if you went to the very far end of the window and pressed your nose up against it so you could see 5% of the Opera House.
* I could hear banging for 3 afternoons on the floor above. No idea if there were renovations or cleaning being done that was noisy. It was really annoying.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/B]

Room cost me approx AUD$300 & $45 valet parking which is an approx. Average cost for entry level rooms in Sydney in 5 star hotels. I guess I'd return but I do have other Sydney hotels I love more at the moment (The Darling).

If I stayed I would book a higher grade room so it was bigger.

Last edited by Annalisa12; May 17, 2016 at 6:01 am Reason: accidentally posted in wrong spot.