FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reasonable remedy for 7-hr tarmac delay?
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:49 pm
PammyLam

Programs: Delta FO
Reasonable remedy for 7-hr tarmac delay?

What do you think you would expect as a reasonable remedy for a 7 hr tarmac delay prior to CDG-ATL flight yesterday? Not weather related. Broken cabin lights led to FAs re-seating approx 8 rows of people (splitting up families, putting confirmed aisle/window people in middles, understandable grumbling from all involved) from aft to forward. Plane stopped mid-taxi, waited 30 mins with no explanation, then we're told weight/balance paperwork is invalid due to pax moves.

Back to gate to reshuffle cargo and do manual weights. Oops. Manual weights calculated for "dry" runway, but airport says runways are still wet from earlier sprinkle. Have to wait for runways to dry so airport matches paperwork. 4 hour mark, pax offered deplaning per EU rules. FAs stress they have no re-booking info and deplaning is at your own risk/expense (probably not true, but didn't want to chance it with a family of four). Offloaded pax's luggage needs to be pulled. This takes another 2.5 hours (or so they said). No food other than crackers/peanuts/pretzels. No bev other than water for first 6 hours. Lavs destroyed. Foul odors. Cabin temps OK, but all other conditions miserable. To appease remaining pax after many deplaned, FAs allowed seating free-for-all, where anyone who wanted to could move up to Comfort +, despite the fact that I paid $119 apiece for my family to be there.

Delay time to final destination about 10 hours. Delta covered three hour "stay" in a hotel and rolled out the drink cart. Got a warm soda at 2 am upon arrival.

During ordeal, six tweets asking for assistance (re-booking options, since FAs had no info) went unanswered. Phone call to agent basically said wait it out or go tomorrow. Would not answer questions on hotel, meals, etc. Told me to talk to gate agent (would have to make choice to deplane to do so).

I filled out the complaint form online. Obviously this situation is not OK, but what would be a reasonable response from Delta? Have you had similar experiences? Was Delta responsive? I've been fortunate to not have a complaint-worthy experience with them, so I'm unfamiliar with their complaint resolution system.