FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016]
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:31 am
solonphotos

Business Platinum renewal - fail

My AMEX Business Platinum card is coming up for renewal. I have been with AMEX for 30 years. My Plat Bus card had 35k$ spending in 2015. I also have a personal green card.

I called the main number on the back of the card and told the person that I wanted to talk about the Platinum card renewal terms. I told him that I had 4k$ last year at Costco that would now go to a Visa card. I told him that I have associates who have negotiated a "retention bonus" with AMEX, and that I wanted to explore that possibility. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back with an offer: $100 credit OR 8,000 points.

I told him that the offer was not high enough - and he told me that it was all he could do. I plan to cancel the AMEX Business Platinum card and I will use a Chase Visa MileagePlus Explorer Business card instead. I want to be certain that my 300k AMEX miles will remain on my green card. The $450 renewal fee is too high for the AMEX benefits that I actually use - and much of what I need is also covered by the Explorer Visa card for $95 per year.

End of story .... I don't feel loved or cherished by AMEX today