FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Places to eat in Singapore
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:04 am
SQTraveller

Tomi Sushi – Novena

Who hasn’t tried sushi? Go on. Raise your hand. I know there are some of you out there who have never tried it. Don’t be afraid. Only about 5 years ago I was one of those people. A sushi virgin. Despite fighting my way through numerous buffets and seafood options, never had raw fish passed by my lips.

My first sushi experience was at Ichiban Boshi in Novena, and after eating there a few times I realised that I quite enjoyed the whole experience. A couple of years later I made the leap and actually made a trip to Japan (twice in 12 months!). It was then I realised how wrong it was to eat at Ichiban. Everything was just a bit off. The fish is a bit dry, the quantity of fish given a bit small, the rice was not warmer than the fish and so on. As a result I made an effort to look for a bit more of an authentic Japanese sushi experience.

Unfortunately the truly great sushi places in Singapore are extremely expensive. I will be writing a report on Tatsuya at the Goodwood Park Hotel but there are several others such as Hide Yamamoto at Marina Bay Sands or Nadaman at Shangri La.

Thus trying to find a place that serves decent quality Japanese food in Singapore at reasonable prices is quite hard. And it was actually on one day I was looking for Japanese food in Novena and there was a huge queue (as usual) for Ichiban that I stumbled upon Tomi Sushi. And the rest is history [you can see the review with all the pictures here]

When I first started going there, most of the staff, even the sushi chefs were Japanese. Now that is not the case. I don’t know the reason why, but there are only a handful of Japanese staff left. Taking from the a la carte menu is rather expensive. However, if you go for the set meals they tend to be good value. S$25 for a set meal? Not bad if you ask me. And I always feel full afterwards. If you look back through my Singapore Food Tour category, you can see that I like to eat! So when I say it’s filling, it really is filling!

Is this really a true Japanese restaurant? No. Although the origins are in Japan, without the Japanese staff behind the counter, the quality control is clearly slightly less. Having said that, I think for the price this may well be a good choice. A sign of decent quality? When there are Japanese eating there quite regularly. Nearly every time I have been there, there are usually several Japanese families there.

As is usual I will let my photos do the talking (and of course they are not all taken at the same time; this is not a buffet!!!!)

This next series of photos are the set menus that are on offer; usually starting at around S$25.

IMG_0528

IMG_3457

IMG_3335

IMG_4067

IMG_4131

IMG_0424

IMG_6652

And now comes the individual orders of sushi, sashimi, rolls, wraps and tempura

IMG_4133

IMG_4135

IMG_0438

IMG_3962