FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving to NYC - Best way to get into city?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:52 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Driving to NYC - Best way to get into city?

I will be driving from Ohio to New York City with my wife and two children, nine and five, for a week in April at the Doubletree Guest Suites (Broadway and 47th). I will arrive on a Sunday and depart on a Saturday. I would like to avoid taking my car into the city to avoid the parking cost and driving headache.

What is my best option for parking in New Jersey and taking alternative transportation? I see that there is a ferry from Weehawken to about 38th street with connecting buses to areas in midtown. Is this an option with luggage, or is this really a commuter ferry that I should avoid? Also, is there long-term parking there or is the parking really just meant to be daily?

Another alternative would be to take Amtrak in from some point in New Jersey. Is there a natural place to do that, where there is inexpensive, safe, long-term parking? I assume all the trains arrive at Penn Station and then I would take a taxi from there.

Any other options I haven't considered?

Thanks for the help.

Andy