FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:05 am
cdancer20

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 808lostin619
Hyatt has me so confused regarding this resort. I booked two nights in April in a pool view king. I figure I'm a Diamond and planning to apply a DSU so what does it matter. Just called Hyatt to modify the reservation and apply my DSU and...

First, I asked to pay for 1 night and use points for the other. The lady says they do not have my room type available for points so I will have to check into the pool view king my first night (paid) and then move to a standard room the second night (points). Oh, and the standard room is a double room. Okay--this is weird but I'll keep going.

Second, I ask about using my DSU and she responds that DSU's are not applicable to free rooms paid with points. I have never heard this policy before. So I then ask her to apply it to the paid night. According to her system, no suites are available when on the Hyatt.com website there is a Hyatt Ziva suite available. She says the DSU only applies to specific rooms on the property.

I have never had this much trouble at any domestic Hyatt resorts. Is this normal for the Ziva? Or was calling in the evening a bad idea? The lady did sound like my grandma and I got the impression that pushing buttons was not going to help my cause...
Everything the rep told you is correct. 1 - As the last poster said, DSUs can only be used on paid stays or points + cash. No DSUs are full points or rooms booked by third parties. 2 - Each hotel has a specific room type that the DSU maps to. Sometimes they can make exceptions if that room type is unavailable. However that's up to the hotel and highly YMMV. Search this thread though to see what type of suite a DSU books into.