FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:15 am
youngdlplat

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question re Mileage Plus Personal v. Business

I've been thinking about getting the United Mileagelus Explorer Card. Because of a drop off in travel, status is expiring, so the free checked bag has some value to me. But the earnings are inferior which has caused me to pause (we've had the CSP for years now).

I see that the business card offers better benefits. For the same price you get the same general benefits (same bonus, 2 club passes a year, free checked bag, 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $25,000, etc.), but you also get double points on business supply stores, gas, and restaurants (and CSP doesn't give that bonus on gas, so it would make particular sense).

Two questions

(1) For starters, why would Chase make the business benefits so much better than the personal ones? I don't understand the reason for Chase to do that.

(2) I'm an attorney. Can I apply for and use the business card for my business expenses? I'm not a business owner, so I would like to understand who can get the business card and for what purposes.