FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:37 pm
TheFlyingDoctor

Intercontinental Times Square

Room Type: Deluxe Room
Nights: 1
Price: 50,000 IHG Rewards points

As usual, my first time anywhere I find it impossible to get my bearings, which made the trip into Manhattan more complicated than it needed to be. Emerging from the wrong subway exit gave me a quick preview of the unforgiving heat, crowds, traffic noise and sheer scale of New York, but eventually I got myself oriented and into the sanctuary of the Intercontinental.

I lack any kind of status with IHG, let alone IC’s ambassador programme, so I was pleasantly surprised that my redemption booking had been placed all the way up on the 24th floor, looking down onto 8th avenue. My points had actually netted me a deluxe room; these claim to offer a bit more space, a city view or a higher floor than the superior rooms (despite both running to 50K), so perhaps that accounts for my altitude.

The first keycard I was issued didn’t work, a slight so awful that the receptionist paired the replacement with a voucher for a free drink. Slightly wasted on me, but a nice bit of proactive service recovery!
Second time lucky, and a chance to see what an asking price of $509 a night actually means in New York:

Intercontinental Times Square King Deluxe Room

Neither the largest nor the most opulent room I’ve stayed in, but I was more than happy – certainly the nicest I’ll see for a long time! Whilst I never managed the tactical nap I was planning on arrival, that huge bed later turned out to be extremely comfortable. Plus, of course, there was the view:

Also of note was the bathroom – refreshingly non-cramped, and the rainfall shower was a delight given the sweltering conditions outside:

Last edited by TheFlyingDoctor; Oct 20, 2019 at 9:18 am Reason: migrate off flickr / imgur