FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:12 am
vsevolod4

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC Geneva

IC Geneva

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Mostly.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked one paid night and two nights on points.

How are the rooms?

Flawless. And boring. In other words, Swiss.

How is the exec. lounge?

None.

Did you receive a welcome gift?

Minimal.

How was the minibar?

Average. But not given for the free nights. There could have been a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, take stuff out of the minibar on your paid night and hide it. But I don't play that way.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good

Like most of Switzerland, perfectly functional but soulless.
Easy access to airport. One of the airport bus lines (I think it's #5 but check -- and not super easy to find) goes right past the hotel. And if you know, as you exit the secure area, head to a kiosk where you press a button and get a free ticket to ride public transport for 80 minutes after your arrival. Keep your boarding pass and free ticket just in case.
The free public transport continues -- ask at checkin or the concierge for a free pass using public transport during your stay. It's about 10-15 minutes or a long walk to downtown. It's only convenient if you have business with the Useless Nations or some of the other NGOs who have major boondoggles in this expensive city.

-Bad

Sticking to the rules on benefits.
Expensive.
Geneva is a pretty city in a stunning landscape, but it is no longer the crime-free paradise it once was. Foreigners or "youths" (you know what kind) residing in France come over the border, and Geneva itself has attracted foreign freeloaders as well, so there are neighborhoods you worry about being pickpocketed, which wasn't the case a decade ago.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
It's a very expensive city, so prices are on par with that. Which means they're highly overpriced the way a Big Mac is, for $8 -- and if you order a Big Mac meal, you get no discount. That is pretty much a metaphor for Geneva.

Would you return?
When in Geneva, thanks to RA status, yes, but otherwise I think I'd stay at the 4 Seasons Bergues, or the Mandarin Oriental, or the Hotel de la Paix (just announced as a Ritz-Carlton partner hotel) instead, where you can walk around the city -- if the price is the same those would be far better venues.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:41 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only