FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:19 pm
gateguard0

I haven't seen much discussion on the impact of the new routing rules / pseudo-MPM / city pair mileage maximum to those of us based in YYT.

My very unscientific observation from a few recent TATL redemptions is that the new rules have eliminated "backtracking" to YYZ and EWR as connection points to many (most? all?) major European destinations. As an example, YYT-YUL-FRA is valid, but YYT-YYZ-FRA is not. I don't recall this being the case under the old rules.

This really limits TATL redemption flexibility, particularly if you want to avoid surcharges. A few quick searches suggest originating in YYT means you're limited to YUL-ZRH and YUL-IST for surcharge-free carriers -- I haven't done the leg work to check more thoroughly. If the couple surcharge-free options don't work, the YYT-LHR AC flight can be convenient, but it commands ~$450 of taxes/fees/surcharges on a J redemption.

For $450 or less, I can book an advance purchase Flex fare positioning flight to any North American hub as far as ORD. This lets me earn a few miles and opens up a bigger variety of carriers.