FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Cadillac XTS Luxury Trim Review/Ride Report
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:36 pm
qs933

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold

2014 Cadillac XTS Luxury, MSRP as rented $50,390
LCAR (Luxury Car)

Pros:
- Very roomy interior for 4 adults (can easily seat 5)
- Large infotainment display
- Heated and ventilated leather seats
- Bose audio

Cons:
- Cadillac CUE is as bad as the critics have claimed
- Finicky touch sensitive buttons for audio or HVAC controls
- Low resolution backup camera

Had a 2014 Cadillac XTS for about a week on Maui. When rented, it had been in service for about a year and a half with just over 20K miles. Even so, the leather on the driver's seat showed minimal wear and, overall, the car drove well with just a hint of something starting to creak coming from the rear.

I've read many critical reviews of the Cadillac CUE infotainment system or vehicles with touch-sensitive buttons and finally got to appreciate the criticism for both. The huge screen and crisp graphics (excluding the backup camera, which was surprisingly low resolution) are promising, but the interface is puzzling, at best. For example, after associating my iPhone over Bluetooth to stream music, the bottom half of the screen remained filled with radio presets, for some reason. Another example: on the main screen, two of the large icons were labeled "Phone" but with different icons and functions. I'm sure if I invested some time studying the manuals, it would have been easier, but intuitive it is not.

Similarly, the touch-sensitive controls also took some getting used to. Even with haptic feedback from the panel, I found myself pressing two or three times thinking nothing had happened. I also found it tiresome to have to turn on the seat ventilation every time I started the vehicle. As the photo above shows, the glossy black surface around the HVAC controls is a magnet for dust and fingerprints.

Other than the frustrating CUE, the XTS drove and rode well. In the darker Graphite gray paint with polished wheels and LED lighting, it looked every bit like the luxury vehicle it is.

Finally, I noticed these door edge guards, or at least what remained of one, on my XTS. Saw it also on a National-issued Camaro that I parked next to. Haven't noticed them on any other rental I've had, which usually lack these types of dealer-installed accessories.

Last edited by qs933; Aug 16, 2015 at 12:01 am