FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation for bad hotel stay.
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2000, 10:03 am
Jon Toner

Compensation for bad hotel stay.

I need a little help here, and would appreciate feedback.

My father-in-law needed surgery (nothing life-threatening) in the Burlington, MA area. My mother-in-law wanted to be out there the whole time. My wife went out there with them and returned yesterday, but mother-in-law is staying there until Wednesday.

Using Priceline, we got her a room at the Wyndham for $55/night, 6 nights. Life is good.

Except when they got there, the adventure just began.

Instead of a room with two beds, they got a queen (despite calling and getting a confirmation of two beds only a couple days earlier). Adding to this, my father-in-law was sleeping there too on the first night. My wife had to get a cot.

Next evening, a youth hockey tournament was taking place nearby. Judging from behavior, it must have been the Atilla Cup. 12 year-olds running up and down hallways, banging on doors at random. Chaperones are downstairs getting loaded at the bar.

Numerous calls to the Front Desk. Finally they do something, but in the process, identify my wife as the caller, so all night long, kids bang on the door and yell expletives.

Next night, kids are back at it. This time playing hockey in the hallway. Wife decided enough is enough, and didn't waste her time with the Front Desk, and instead called the Police. (Other guests had apparently done so as well).

Six cruisers later, problems solved. Parents of these animals start arguing, "I paid for this room, my kids can do whatever the hell they want." Fortunately the police disagreed.

General Manager called my wife to apologize and treated them to breakfast yesterday morning. Wife asked for extending stay at the Priceline rate (my father-in-law's stay at the hospital was extended two days), no go. Ditto for $ back. He even refused AA upgrade certs.

I say breakfast isn't enough. Now I know there is ZERO chance of getting $ back. I'd like to know what you folks think we should be asking for.

Thanks much!

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."