FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free rental over the weekend. Has anyone tried this?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:20 am
Vladmir Golobovic

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

As cblaisd points out, the fallacy in your reasoning is your assumption that rental charges end when you drop the car off. At most car-rental companies, that's not how it works. Rental charges accrue until the car is checked in by company personnel. If you choose to rent from a company that closes at Noon on Saturday and is closed on Sunday, if you do not return the car before closing time on Saturday, you will be charged as if you had kept the car until Monday.

Of course, at some rental companies at some times of the year, a three-day weekend rental (Friday to Monday) might not cost much more than a one-day Friday-Saturday rental. Look for Enterprise's $9.99/day three-day weekend special to return in the Fall. And you can often find free-weekend-day coupons from the majors, so that you would only pay for two days (at the weekend rate) when you keep the car for three days.

I don't know where you got that information. You clearly have no experience of what you are talking about.
I have already rented several times, and for many of these rentals I return the car after the location is closed. There is no such thing as accruing charges until the car has been checked in. I guess other users can also confirm this.

I do worry about leaving the car in a parking lot unattended for many hours. That would be another reason for me to return the car as late as possible.