FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Accor to buy Starwood?
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:21 pm
RJ77

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by nicolas75
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1588226.ece

Mr Bazin was very upset not to buy Hilton at the time it was possible to get it at a decent price (and with strong Euro against US Dollar).

Now, things have changed, but not Mr Bazin's appetite for growth (and his ability to build complex financial plans).

It wil be of course a good opportunity to dramatically change Accor in terms of size, worldwide coverage and luxury segment.

Still, the integration of a so large and partly redundant brand portfolio seems very complex (not quite sure it might bring much value).
I agree. It will be a gargantuan task to integrate the brands of both groups, which inevitably will make some brands and properties redundant as they compete with each other head on in many markets. Hilton would have been a better fit with a simpler portfolio and a much larger coverage in the US compared to Starwood. There's less work to do for the US market if it goes with Hilton.

Personally I don't care for Starwood's brands of W, Westin, Le Meridien, Aloft and Four Points even though I really like their rewards programs.