FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:13 am
G_CIVV

Here is my very recent experience of back-to-backs with hand baggage only in Stuttgart, making use of the Germany-Hong Kong J sale offer, on the evening rotation last Friday and the morning rotation today:

Friday: 45 minute booked turnaround at STR. Departure from LHR was 30 minutes late due to the aircraft needing a wheel replaced.

My heart sank when I saw a Turkish 737 unloading onto buses as we landed. We disembarked onto an airbridge and being in Row 1 I was off the plane quickly.

Walking down a corridor and through a few doors brought me into a packed immigration hall, however I merged into the masses without going to the back. I politely flashed my returning boarding card to a German who gestured towards the back of the queue. I was through immigration after a 2-3 minute wait.

Rushing upstairs to departures, there was a fast track security but it was closed. After a further 2-3 minutes to get through standard security and a lengthy walk to the gate, boarding had commenced but I had time to pay a quick visit to the toilet in the terminal before re boarding.

Tuesday (today): A very different story. Aircraft again left LHR 30 minutes late due to an earlier power outage, though the aircraft had 60 rather than 45 minutes scheduled at STR. Despite parking at a stand with an airbridge, de planing was via stairs and buses, so the Row 1 advantage was immediately lost with all passengers fitting onto one bus.

The bus decanted into an empty arrivals hall, despite a Turkish 737 being present (again) and making a run for it, I was 4th in the queue and through within 2 minutes.

Fast track security was clearly signed and thankfully was open, but there was still a long walk to a bus gate. I was the very last passenger on the bus (although in all probability I would not have been denied boarding had I missed it as one of the buses would hopefully have returned for me) and there was a pause between letting passengers off the bus and onto the aircraft.

So all in all, both were successful but I would not recommend it. Lack of jumping the queue last week or lack of fast track security today probably would have resulted in failure. Turnarounds were very efficient-less than 45 minutes doors opening to moving off the stand both times. Not a back-to-back for the faint-hearted but fun for people who enjoy a bit of the risk factor!