FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian landed immigrants need to carry residency card - intl. travel after Dec 31?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:10 am
FlyerGoldII

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Canadian landed immigrants need to carry residency card - intl. travel after Dec 31?

My brother-n-law is a Canadian landed immigrant (and US citizen) living in Vancouver. They were planning to go to India this Xmas/New Year holidays - problem was that the Canadian government web site states that as of Jan 1, one would need a Canadian residency card (the physical paper in the passport indicating that he is a landed Canadian immigrant would be void then) - to be admitted back into Canada, from travel to another country.

He has just received the forms, which are apparently longer than the citizenship application forms he has started to fill them out - he does not know how long it will take for him to get the residency card - it may take longer than the time remaining before the planned departure date of his trip (in which case, he and his family would cancel their plans, if he did not get the card).

He has not been successful in getting through the toll-free number for more information - it is always busy. He is not sure about whether one can email questions through the web site, for clarification.

He told me that the web site alludes to applying for a residency card overseas (ie Canadian High Commission, in New Delhi) - but he is not sure how easy or practical the application process is.

We were also wondering whether after Dec 31, US citizens who are Canadian landed immigrants, can go back and forth between USA and Canada via private car, limousine/taxi, bus, airline etc. - without the need for this residency card? If the answer is yes, then one option would be to fly to/from India, from/to SeaTac airport.

I wonder if US citizens are exempt from carrying a residency card, through the provisions of NAFTA?