FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold in one go - the Finnair monster
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:03 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
11 Seoul - ChongQing AirChina CA440 Boeing B737 B-5486

Cabin and Seat: First, 2A

Sometimes, everything is as expected, and regardless of high or low expectaions, the experience is quickly sailing away into oblivion. And sometimes your expectations, high or low, are not met and you are either so blown away or so underwhelmed that a few million synapses reconnects in your brain and you surely won't forget.

Initially, I didn't even know I had an Air China in my itinerary. I booked the China-Japan flights as a redemption with Aegean (A3) and while they have an perfectly fine call center, sometimes their English isn't really compatible with mine.
I had asked for one specific route on OZ, but they suggested a slightly different one due to no award seats available and I agreed. It was only weeks later I noticed one segment was on CA.

Now, I have nothing against CA. Previous experiences have been perfectly fine. A lot of delays, sure, but that is common in China. And flying Y, I have been treated very well most of the time and also have had some upgrades.

So nothing against them, but no special expectations for this flight either.

It starts badly. The flight leaves from Gate 102. Not only is that ICN concourse but it is the far end of the concourse. The very far end.

Remember, I am in the OZ lounge in main terminal, close to gate 9. First a walk to the center of terminal. Then ride escalators down for ever and ever, board shuttle train, ride escalators again, walk and walk through concourse, then another escalator and far in the distance gate 102 is visible.

And so is the crowd.

Even though it fells like it has taken forever to get to gate 102 and I'm late, boarding still hasn't commenced.

Oh, great, a delay.

No seats available in the gate area and I just hang around standing. But I am quickly singled out by a gate agent, getting asked for my BP and then told something like "OK, let's pre-clear you". She checks my passport and visa and a few moments sends me down the jet bridge. Boarding commences right after that.

I am on a business reward ticket, but on some routes, CA only sells First. First is 2 rows arranged in 2+2, with seat width 52,6cm/20,7". Pitch (at knee level) is 76,4cm/30,1".

And Air China has great pillows!

The first thing I notice when entering, is that an off-duty-staff (I'm guessing a First Officer) is seated in row 3. NB he is seated in economy, not in first. I find it interesting, because IME many airlines puts off duty flight crew in their most premium sections, sometimes even giving them more attention than paying customers. CA clearly doesn't. There are 7 empty seats in business/first, but he stays behind the curtain.

The second thing I notice is that cabin crew is very attentive. I remove my shoes, and immediately a FA arrives with slippers. Not only arrives with them, but unpacks them and puts on the floor as close to my feet as she can, for me to just slide feet in. (She actually tries to put them on my feet, but that is just too awkward.)

A pre take off drink is offered and FA is suggesting wine or champagne.
The champagne is slightly flat (is that the term?) and I guess without great character, but it tastes good and I like it.

Boarding seems complete but we're still waiting and the FA comes over and explains there is an ATC delay (I'm about to realise that I'm getting this info before everyone else. Captain announces the delay to the rest of the cabin a few minutes later). More champagne (this time I hear the cork pop) and nuts arrive soon, to ease the burden of waiting. And since we are just sitting there, I am asked if I would mind filling out a questioner about the service.

-Here is a pen for you, she says and hands over a nice looking Swarowski knock off.
-I mean a present for you, I want you to keep it, she says and I detect a soft but self-conscious tone, much in the same way a teenager talks when interacting with someone of the opposite sex. I look up into a great smile.

I realise that while CA may not have the sophisticated FAs like some "elite" Asian airlines, she sure is very genuine. Oh, I guess they are getting good grades on the questioner today!

Living on the edge (of ICN concourse)

At the far end of ICN concourse, we find ourselves parked together with a S7.

Take off is delayed some 30 minutes, but time flies quickly and before I know it, we are in the air and it is dinner time. And today I'm getting beef with onion.

Oh great, another stew.

Well, I was given a few options, but honestly it is a bit difficult to hear and understand a menu spoken onboard. Beef was really the only word I could make out so I just went for it.

- Beef will be fine, thank you.
FA shines up.
- Yes, I think you will really like it!

While that makes me feel I made the right choice, I'm still pretty sure the meal on the previous segment also was labeled "beef" and we never became friends.

"Beef-with-onion" never made me happier.

The aircraft turns and for a few moments a poetic light is shining on today's highlight!

So, expecting a stew with rice, I get pretty surprised when the meal arrives. It turns out to be not just beef but filet of beef.
A massive filet of beef. Cooked rare. With potatoes. Sauce and onion. I'm stunned.
Sure, it is not gourmet restaurant class, but I'm not kidding when I say it is the best in-air-beef I've ever had.

(Sadly the close up of the filet of beef is too blurry, but underneith those onion rings is a massive piece of perfect beef hiding.

Starter

Starter is really fresh. The melon balls are so watery I'm thinking they were made by hand in the galley.

Some other details - the butter is soft. Not because artificially made so but because it has the right temperature. I know how difficult temperature management is onboard a plane, and few airlines get it right.
And the table linen are of a really fine quality - also one of the better kinds I've seen on this trip.

Dessert

FA is very attentive, almost overambitious. In her eagerness to serve,
I get two deserts delivered while I'm still eating main course.

Coffee is instant coffee with powder milk. But after a lot of food scandals in China, I think milk powder from an international vendor is considered premium.

Needless to say, the mood is high!

Segment results:
BIS: 2021
TP: 0
AP: 0

Last edited by intuition; Nov 15, 2016 at 4:35 am Reason: image relinking