FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card authorization holds, when do they expire??
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:32 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jetsetter
Lately I have been checking in to Hyatt hotels and using my Citi AA card upon check-in, and then using Hyatt gift cards to pay at the end of the stay. I use the gift cards because you can often get them for 13% off. The hotel usually says they cannot apply a gift card until you have posted charges.

I just noticed I have a hold on the card from June 8th that is still listed as a pending charge today June 16th.

It would be helfpul to know what the policy is for how long holds are kept active for depending on the credit card company i.e. Citi, Chase, Amex, Capital One, etc?

This isn't affecting me right now because I am only using the Citi card for these holds and it has a $7,000 credit line. But it is somehting I'm watching and curious about.

Its funny also when I googled the topic, this FT thread was the top search result.
Since your post relates to a hold placed by a Hyatt property, have a look at this thread in the Hyatt forum which links to Hyatt policy with regard to credit card holds and when they drop off:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...can-right.html

You may want to contact the property.