FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:00 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by zsssd
I contacted Barclays about this and after talking to a complaints representative they are making me submit the receipt and problem in writing. The representative said she knew what DCC was but I got the impression that she didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. I asked the representative if this is a common complaint and she said I was the first person she had complain about DCC. I made some comment about most people probably don't realize when this happens to them. Anyways, I find DCC so frustrating and wish there was a way to ban it so I didn't have to worry about it.
Let us know how the chargeback goes. I think the vast majority of people don't realize that they've been screwed, and that's why there aren't many complaints. This is also why I'd rather have a chip-and-PIN system. If the waiter hands you the terminal and things look fishy, you can always fat finger the PIN to end the transaction.

The good thing with MasterCard is that their DCC chargeback options seem, in theory, to be far more permissive than Visa's. With MasterCard you simply have to state that you weren't given the option to pay in the currency of your choosing. As long as you defaced the receipt, it should work in your favor assuming that the issuer is favorable to a chargeback.