FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines kicks woman with cancer off flight from Hawaii to California
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:32 pm
SF1K

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
My husband and I were on this flight.

I obviously can't speak towards the medical situation I'm not a doctor, however I do think they could have handled it better. Especially since there was quite a bit of back and forth on whether or not they would let her fly.

They had already told her no in the boarding area. Then changed their minds and let her board. As she came in and was greeted and ine of the FAs said something along the lines of "hope your ok" to which she responded "no I'm not - I have cancer and they almost wouldn't let me fly" she was in tears. She had already cried in the boarding area as well.

Although she was wearing a surgical mask and in a wheelchair she boarded without any assistance.

After she was seated there was more back and forth and then they deplaned her and her family right before we closed the door. The captain said to each one of the kids, the husband and to the wife that "everything would be ok". He seemed quite sympathetic. I don't know who made the call on whether she could fly or not.

After they closed the door the captain addressed the cabin facing us - saying this was a difficult situation and that there were procedures, etc. he mentioned something called "med-link" which supposedly is an authority of deciding if people are fit to fly or not.

It seemed part of his speech was to reassure everyone and pet to cover the airlines ---

At the end of his speech many passengers applauded. We did not as we thought that was highly inappropriate. At this stage we felt very sad for the lady and her family and were not about to take anybody's side. The stupid thing is she obviously flew over to Kauai in the same condition - I'm assuming on Alaska.

The discrimination thing is BS. They ground crew in no way seemed disrespectful.

If she hadn't put the mask on and hadn't mentioned her illness to the ground crew then she most likely would have flown home without incident.