FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to fish for bargain flights?
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:45 am
Flyertall

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
How to fish for bargain flights?

Apparently, my net is snagging, my lines are lagging, and my lures are lacking the ability to attract any good catches while flight fishing.

Part of the problem is my insurmountable ignorance on how to use the comprehensive ITA (or is it ITS?) website, which I can't even abbreviate correctly, much less code with all the search letter /switches correctly.

Instead, I've been cribbing off of google/flights recently, because I heard that google uses the same database as the Matrix... but still wonder if google is the best way to find a coach flight from point A to point B on day C returning any flexible day D after a Saturday night stay.

As for recent experience, I've booked 15 flights thus far this year, but those have all been domestic, where the gap between a gouged price and a great deal is still only about a $200 difference in coach . However, the next flight I am trying to price out right now is International. Now the gap is 4 figures.

I'm looking for some fishing techniques that a mere layman can understand on how to catch a better priced fare where the departure date is fixed, but the return date is flexible. My only status is with Delta.