FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:13 pm
apple1122

Got it!

I think I'll make Amsterdam as my stopover (since I'm planning to visit there again!), I wanted to use Germany as my stopover because I'd like to visit its airport (lol), but if it will incur high fuel tax, then Amsterdam works...any idea how is the international airport in Dublin (lounge & duty fee shopping) compares to AMS? I flew out from AMS back to US in 2009 and thought AMS was just ok, not sure if things has changed much since...

If using AMS as my stopover, what route/connection do you suggest to take leaving SEA? Do I still have to connect via ORD/DFW? or is there a direct flight leaving SEA? and what airline/aircraft is good for first class (biz class works, if none if available)

And from AMS to TPE/ICN, which airline do you recommend?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, TPE or ICN would be fine. Distance for Asia stop-SEA > Distance for Europe stop-SEA, you're good.

Very much so, it's Ryanair's hub.

FWIW, Germany, France and the UK all charge a departures tax, so using those nations as a departure point for a longhaul journey to Asia after a stopover will add a couple hundred dollars in taxes to your trip or more (the charges can go up if you're in a premium cabin). You can avoid that by having your Europe stopover be one of AMS, ZRH or DUB, or some other country that does NOT charge APD. If you route through LHR on a tight connection to CX you'd be OK (just stay away from BA on the longhaul segment, unless you want to pay a large fuel surcharge for the privilege).