FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips and ideas for 2.5 week trip to Asia
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:12 pm
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For someone new to Asia, I'd broadly break down your potential destinations into four groups (apologies for those who know Asia well enough to know that I'm massively generalising):
Tropical tourist destinations: Siem Reap, Vietnam, Northern Thailand and Bangkok, etc.
Island paradises: Langkawi, Koh Samui, Langkawi, Phuket, Bali (to a degree)
The Tigers: Hong Kong, South Korea (disclaimer: never been), Singapore
Japan: Just totally different and with lots of variety in it - Tokyo, Kyoto, the countryside, the islands, etc.

One idea would be to use something like Hong Kong as a hub/ arrival point (it's preferable to Singapore, IMO) and then hit 1-3 tropical locations, selecting from the "tourist destinations" and the "island paradises". You could then round off with a few days in Japan before heading off.

In terms of specifics, my own preferences would be:
- Do come to Thailand over the likes of Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia if you only pick one of these countries. I love the place (currently writing this from Koh Samui airport)
- Japan is amazing. I'd definitely include at least Tokyo and Kyoto (with the Bullet Train imbetween) if you can