FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:40 am
jimindc

Originally Posted by scpoints
So I've 80,000 American Miles. Looking to treat both my Gf and I to 1st on the way back from UAE to London/Europe in May and would like some advice.

Ideally we would like to fly Etihad.

- A380 Etihad First to Lhr is unavailable for the dates we need (between 30th May and 2nd June).

- Etihad 787-9 First to Dusseldorf is available but is a night flight. Will we be losing a lot of value/enjoyment with it not being a day flight?? What are the main differences?

- Been offered First on Qatar to LHR but not on their new A380 - on their older A340/330 seats/aircraft - and no chauffeur and on-board bar....

- Trying to see if Qatar A380 to CDG is available (is calling AA only way to check this?) - it is a day flight and shows that their are normal restricted first fare seats available...

What is the best way to check for award seats from Middle East to Europe I can book with AA miles without calling AA?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. It will be the first time flying first for both of us, so want the best product/experience possible. Etihad was always top of my list....

Or are we being stupid and should we wait for a trip we can make where the etihad A380 first is available?!
You can search Etihad award space on their website - no need for an account. Look for space labeled "Guest". http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Looks like business class is available on the A380 for June 2 (2 seats on the 8:35AM flight). Not quite first, of course, but the business class on the A380 does look great and probably better than F on many other airlines. You'd still have the chauffeur (both directions) and on-board bar. It's a day flight, so you could enjoy the on-board amenities more thoroughly. Plus, you'd save yourself 20K miles.