FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW - BA, CX, QF, KL, MH J + IC & CP Hotels
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:36 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Crowne Plaza LAX

All the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) hotels are the same price at LAX when you select the Government rate – so you may as well take the top of the range hotel. One of the many reasons I like IHG hotels is the government rate - it is normally the cheapest of all rates and it is fully flexible, plus it normally includes a few perks like free breakfast and a glass of wine etc.

Crowne Plaza is one of the best hotel chains in my opinion, as it provides a great level of comfort and finesse at the right price. The Intercontinental Hotels are the top of the chain, Crowne Plaza are the second but whilst I love the grandness of an Intercontinental, I normally find my Crowne Plaza stays particularly enjoyable.

Transportation:
I picked up hotel shuttle and headed off to the hotel. I have used this transportation many times and it is easy and quick and free. The driver was very grumpy and authoritative/over bearing. He placed his hand up to stop me getting on HIS bus, he had a system and no one was going to get him to change it! The hotel bus serves the Renaissance and the Crowne Plaza. I have actually stayed in both but the Crowne Plaza wins out here at LAX as it always treats me well and gives me some freebies. ............. Plus it gives me IHG points (spot the theme!)

Check-in:

Booked – 1 King Bed.
Actual - Room No 1527 - 1 Executive King Bed with Club Lounge Access

If you remember I said I am entitled to an upgraded room if I stay at the IHG chain, this is a good example of why I stay with them. I booked the cheapest room and got upgraded to a room that would have cost me over $100 more if I had booked it straight off. The perks are free cocktail hour, breakfast and soft drinks throughout the day.

Room:
Overall Impression:
Very good as always. The rooms here are modern and well furnished - the bathrooms are quite a good size and have a bath over a shower. There is a bit of noise from the runway but they do provide ear plugs.

Ambassador Perk:
I got a 'relax' package which consisted of a lavender spray, and some body lotion. It is actually very nice and I use it regularly back home as I have a few bottles of the stuff and apparently I need to relax!

View:
Well what can I say - I was a happy girl as I had a view directly over the active runway - the spotter in me was so excited!! I know this would be some folks idea of hell but I just sat and watched multiple take-offs, still in awe of flight! However, this wonderful view means the room is noisier than normal - hence the ear plugs being a good idea!

Bathroom:

Clean and tidy - not the biggest bathroom in the world but it is modern and has a sink, shower and toilet - you really cannot ask for more than that really can you!

Toiletries:
Temple Spa shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and soap. You may not have heard of this brand, I certainly hadn't when I started staying at Crowne Plaza, however I happened to come across them when I flew Emirates First Class a while back. It is made in England, which surprised me as I have never see it in any shops - I would be interested to know if anyone else has come across the brand - I only seem to see it when I am travelling.

Restaurant:

My room came with evening canapés and drinks so I did not eat in the restaurant this time. I have done so in the past though and it has been fine. I went down to the bar for a glass of wine while I caught up with my emails and the blog. An airport hotel bar is a great place to people watch! You can always spot the hosties and pilots a mile off - this is an American Airlines hotel - their team are a little more mature than some! There is a group of people sat on a long table eating normally, apart from one member of their team has the hugest cowboy hat ever seen and keeps hitting his neighbours when he turns around.

I spent the evening relaxing, a glass of wine in hand and some sun on the terrace - I forgot how much I love the warm weather over here!

As I was entitled to some free wine, I thought I would try it out - the club lounge was full of some very weird people. There was a lady who was obviously recovering from chin or nose surgery - key indicator was the big bandage around her face. There was a massive lady who limped over to the bar and asked for a diet coke (why???). There was a lady who appears to be inviting anyone who can operate a lift into the lounge and calling them her 'friends' - barman got annoyed with her! Oh and I forgot how good salsa is in Western USA - the Mexican influence means that salsa is proper hot - not just the tomatoes rubbish that the UK calls salsa!

I was pretty tired by this stage and sick of hearing very loud people get more and more drunk on the free booze so I headed off to bed. Unfortunately I woke at 0330 - this was going to hurt by the time I got to Hong Kong!! I forced myself to stay in bed until 5am when I admitted defeat and got up - I wanted to see the new airport lounge anyway.......

Checkout:
Checkout was pretty painless and I got the bus back to the airport - driver was less grumpy this morning,

Next stop Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific Business Class flight (although a little bit of me is praying to the upgrade gods as I would love to travel Cathay First again!!).

Last edited by aks120; Jan 11, 2015 at 5:31 am Reason: Tweaking!