FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:11 pm
cruisr

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
[QUOTE=SansSerif;24102311]

On the issue of "unethically" taking advantage of airline loopholes:

84fiero, thank you for linking me to the UA incident. I didn't know about it, and I'll agree that it goes against the grain of what's viewed as an "acceptable" use of airline certificates. In my current and limited understanding, Ben re-used e-certificates for upgrades on United Airlines.

But my first reaction wasn't disdain or to crucify Ben for what may very well have been an unethical practice.

My first reaction was pride. I was proud that someone had figured out how to "game" the system in his or her favor. That's what these "miles and points" blogs are for, right? I wish I could say that I wouldn't have done the very same thing given his position - but I probably would have. I don't know what that says about my personal values and whatnot, but there you go.

QUOTE]

The e certs he used over and over again were not for upgrades they were for dollars off of fares. In the old days UAL routinely gave 100.00's off e certs for minor complaints. These were meant for one time use, obviously.