FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:00 am
Astrophsx

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Of course. When you live your life in upscale chain hotels, first class cabins that you don't pay for, and shopping malls, what really informs your world view? The average business traveler could give a damn about what type of plane an airline provides for a flight so long as the plane is clean, safe, and hopefully comfortable. And because they're in business, they understand that other businesses operate the same way as the one they're in, with needs to maximize profits while keeping costs under control.

Ben and Gary and the rest see only one thing--give me the latest, the greatest and don't sweat the profits. Because, as Gary is fond of reminding us, profits are made at the margins (otherwise known as giving Gary what he wants for what he wants).
Correct me if I am wrong here, but in order for Ben to have a job (blogging) he needs to maintain a following... maintain traffic to his page... and maintain credit card sign ups. I just think your first sentence is a little off base in that a majority of his readers do not care about his lifestyle. Do you think that most moms are like MommyPoints taking 18 vacations a year? No, they just want the connection that she is a parent and the impression that she is helping out the average mom. I think the same goes with Ben. Most new to the miles and points world see him as a motivated young guy who is doing things they could not imagine possible. I'm sure even he would enjoy the label as the Kardashian of the points game.