FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Close the Information desk forum
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:29 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
How many missions should a forum carry?

Some advice us unhappy campers to not visit or simply ignore ID Forum. Such advice might have a merit if the existing forum carried a clear-cut boundary so everyone can choose to explore topics of their interests. But the status quote of ID Forum is so oddly cluttered that valuable cross-program threads have to call it home. It's hard to turn a blind eye for those of us want to learn a thing or 2 in cross-program challenges.

For example, I don't fancy political talks on FT so I rarely step in OMNI/PR Forum. But when I do pop my head in OMNI/PR, I know I am going to read politics. If I came to TB Forum and advocate to shut down OMNI/PR, just because I don't want to read nor talk politics on FT, I would be so out of line since our OMNI/PR Forum do have its irresplaceable place on FT. Not to mention the quality discussion and passionate participants that follow.

Unfortunately, the current ID Forum is marred because too many missions are placed upon it. It's sort of losing focus and drag away quality threads on cross-programs discussion. Who would come to a dump site to ask million-dollar question other than begging for freebies? The trend in forum activities proves my point.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
ETA: Just today someone posted asking for a FTer to spread some holiday joy and assist him getting from his school to another city during the holiday break. Seriously? Is this what we want to encourage? IMHO, he was looking for a freebie, not advice.
I'd RBPed that threads within an hour, if not minutes, after it's started. I guess it's up to the MODs' hands now if ID Forum should include this sort of "begging" threads. I would even say some threads are better left unseen than locked.

Last edited by lin821; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:31 am Reason: a big typo