FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:15 pm
bribro

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Also, the transactions are coded with the category of the underlying merchant. Therefore, if you get double points for dining, in most cases will earn double points when you dine and pay with MileagePlus X. This will depend, however, on your issuing bank and how they implement bonuses.

-UA Insider
This is not true. I have used MPX with three different Chase credit cards (Sapphire Preferred Visa, Ink Plus Visa, and Freedom Visa) and the charges were all coded as "Department and Clothing Stores/Catalogs." Some of the charges were at Staples, others were at restaurants - the underlying merchant coding never passed through.

This has cost me some 5,394 miles I would have earned had the information posted actually been accurate. I have sent messages through the app twice, and have yet to receive a response (the first message is over a week old).

Additionally, the app has a serious bug - when you switch the credit card from the default to something else, it will still charge the default credit card.

And lastly, the whole process tends to be very cumbersome. For whatever reason, no merchant has been able to scan the e-giftcard's barcode - the cashier has always had to manually type the numbers in. Very frustrating.

Needless to say, I will not be using this app anymore.