FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How often do you use no-fee cards to avoid cancellation?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:24 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Bingo on the $1 fuel on the A&TT card. Done. Then I do under $1 fuel swipes. When it comes to multi swipes accumulating to about $3 for $100 bonus, not concerned about 5% on such small amounts.
Be careful about going too low on amounts. In one of those threads about a credit card with a signup bonus, someone recently appeared to have missed getting a "first purchase" bonus of tens of thousands of airline miles simply because their first and only purchase was less than 50 cents, and the bank apparently did rounding and counted that as 0 in terms of first purchase.

I could imagine something like that for multi-swipe bonuses also. I wouldn't assume any under 51 cents would necessarily count. They might, but they might not. And if they don't, it could be something from the internals that the bank uses, and thus they wouldn't have necessarily had to spell that out in the rules. (The bank which didn't count under 50 cents as a "first purchase" didn't spell out any minimum for the purchase.)

Banks aren't creating these promos for people who things to an absurd point. Banks are creating these promos to get you to use the card more. It doesn't mean you have to make a bunch of expensive swips, but I would recommend inexpensive "normal looking" swipes, and lots of sub-dollar fuel swipe do not look "normal" to me, they look someone trying to "manufacture swipes"!

And just like you don't want to attract attention from a bank of overzealous Manufactured Spending, I wouldn't want to attract attention from a bank by overzealous manufactured swipes.